Spinach (Long Standing Bloomsdale)
- Plant successions every 2 weeks.
Snap Pea (Sugar Snap)
- Direct sow
Lettuce (Sierra Crisp Head Lettuce)
- Germinates best at 75 degrees and as low as 40.
- Direct sow.
- Every 1 - 2 weeks in early fall.
- In very early spring start crop as hardened 4 week old transplants.
- Harvest in the morning for sweet flavor
- Direct sow when soil has reached 70 degrees and danger of frost has past.
- Or transplant 2 - 3 week old seedlings grown indoors.
- Keep well picked to promote production.
Squash (Summer Squash - Early Summer Crookneck)
- From seed outdoors: April 29 - May 20
- Sow seeds directly in the garden in fertile, warm soil in full sun after danger of frost has passed.
- Be sure to choose an area when you did not plant squash or related crops within 2 years.
- Allow plenty of growing space for vining types.
- For improved drainage sow in mounds, or hills of soil 12 inches in diameter, 6-8 inches tall.
- Sow 1-2 seeds about 3-4 feet inches apart. Cover with 1 inch of fine soil.
- Firm lightly and keep evenly moist.
- Seedlings emerge in 10-14 days.
- Thin to one plant when seedlings have two sets of leaves.
Tomato (Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato)
- Sow indoors in well drained containers 6 weeks before average last frost.
- Seedlings 75 - 85 degrees during day and 50 - 60 at night.
- Trnasplant to 3 inch pots when 3 - 4 true leaves develop.
- Harden and transplant to garden after average last fronst.
- Harvest frequently to promote production.
Tomato (German Johnson - Heirloom)
- Transplant to 3 inch pots when 3 - 4 leaves develope.
- Transplant to garden after last frost.
Watermelon (Crimson Sweet)
- Driect sow when soil has reached 70 degrees and when danger of frost has passed.
- Or transplant 2 - 3 week old seedlings.
|type||soil temp||light||plant spacing||row spacing|
|Spinach||45 - 75||full sun||4 - 6||8 - 12|
|Snap Pea||50 - 65||full sun||2||30 - 36|
|Lettuce||40 - 75||full or part sun||6 - 12||12 - 18|
|Cucumber||65 - 85||full sun||6 - 12||36 - 60|
|Squash||70 - 95||full sun||12 - 24||?|
|Cherry Tomato||60 - 85||full sun||24 - 48||36 - 48|
|Heirloom Tomato||60 - 85||full sun||24 - 48||36 - 48|
|Watermelon||70 - 95||full sun||12 - 18||6 - 8|
Weather averages for Asheville, NC.
Average Last Frost: April 15
Average First Frost: October 25
Hardiness Zone: 7a
|month||high / low (f)||rain|
|January||47° / 28°||7 days|
|February||51° / 31°||7 days|
|March||59° / 38°||9 days|
|April||68° / 46°||7 days|
|May||75° / 53°||8 days|
|June||82° / 61°||9 days|
|July||85° / 65°||9 days|
|August||84° / 64°||8 days|
|September||78° / 58°||6 days|
|October||68° / 46°||5 days|
|November||58° / 38°||6 days|
|December||50° / 31°||7 days|